Friday, January 18, 2013

Guest post: JoAnn Swearingen

Today I welcome fellow American Christian Fiction Writer, JoAnn Swearingen, to my blog.

~*~*~*



My husband and I bonded early on in our relationship. Needless-to-say, his loss over a year ago was devastating. After the funeral service, one of my daughters gave me the best gift I could have received-a journal with this inscription in the front, "Mom, this journal is just for you as you start anew."

I wrote almost daily, and my widow's walk took an unexpected turn. The chronicle became a way for me not only to explore my struggles but also the relationship my husband and I shared. This led to finding closure to a special chapter of my life and let it become a springboard toward wholeness. My purpose then became to let the story of the magic of our romance be a legacy to the children. To toggle in on and share with them why and how our relationship managed to remain strong through the years.

The journal is the story of how we built our life together one brick at a time. Sometimes we threw the bricks at each other, but that special something, our romance, kept us strong. I jotted down such things as how we met, even what songs were popular at the time because the tunes seemed to fit into our budding relationship. How at times he stepped out of his comfort zone to protect me, and how I had to learn not to let his feelings for me be his demise. And how we seemed to have a spiritual connection that had nothing to with outward physical appearance. A connection that was
always fresh and new and transcended age. How it took quite a while to reach that level, but once we did, it sustained us, gave us a zest for life.

One song in particular that has sustained me is "You'll Never Walk Alone," "When you walk through a storm, keep your head up high and you'll never walk alone."

Molly Fumia in Safe Passage writes, "Now that he is gone, never
hesitate to tell his story. He has left you behind with treasures to be
shared. When you remember, your memories are sent far into the future, a
sweet heritage for all those who will come after."


~ JoAnn Swearingen is the South Central Kansas area coordinator for ACFW, belongs to the SouthCentral chapter, is a member of Oil Painters of America, and Kansas Academy
of Oil Painters. Her life verse is "I will instruct you says the Lord and guide
you along the best pathway for your life; I will advise you and watch your
progress." Psalms 32:8 (The Living Bible)

Visit her websites:
http://www.joannswearingenauthor.com
http://www.joannswearingenfineart.com

3 comments:

  1. JoAnn, what a lovely post! I dread the tho't of losing my companion, but know if it should happen, God will continue to guide my steps. Thanks for the encouraging words! I love the tho't of you journaling and bringing healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn, thanks for sharing this. What a smart daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, JoAnn, for being my guest! Thank you, Caroline and Sally, for reading!

    ReplyDelete